Monday, July 15, 2013

Nature clean is the way to be, I need vodka!

Nature clean is the way to be!

Everyone seems to be trying it now, to have a chemical free home. At first you wonder will the concoctions really clean and will it take a lot of time. Basically, yes they clean very well and it saves you money.  We have been doing this for about 19 plus years. It is so much easier now, I am practically jealous because I had to research myself and go through trial n error.Love it, feel better! By the time you read this blog, I will share my recipes and my favorite resource.
 Our goal is to put only in our body chemical free foods and using natural herbal resources for better health.

Okay, here is my story of how it started. I will say that there is a reason God developed my body this way because it benefited me later in life for my family, especially my SPD child. Actually it started because when I was 18, I had sudden allergic reactions to deodorant. Yeah, trying dating and having hives develop all over your body. Thankfully, he married me even though it was the beginning of many hive invasions to my body. Back then, there were was not much in hypoallergenic deodorants. Therefore, at that time, I started making my own experiments on what would work and not feel weird, lol. A year later it then started with makeup, I was allergic to everything. Every year after that it was something else. Last week, seriously I became allergic to my husband's mouthwash. Yeah, not fun because I don't even use (some things he won't won't use chemical free yet) it but it would stay on his lips then he would kiss mine. BOOM, my lips looked like I had botox!

So through the years, I learned to make my own soaps, lip balm, lotions, shampoos, furniture polish, laundry detergent, fabric softener, room deodorizer, candles, basic first aid ointment, etc....

Now I  benefit from this little adventure because I have seen where that wonderful olfactory that my son has is disrupted when we are around chemicals. 
I have seen it and can see how it throws him out of a good state. It does not take much, even with the smell of some foods which I can't control but I can try to make sure that chemical free scents are around us at home. The worst pollution is not outside but inside a home that is not chemical free...there are many books out there to really get scientific about it. It is crazy and it seems it is because our earth has become lazy and demanding.

Ha, are you wondering where the vodka comes in? Well, I have always used vinegar as a base for many of my blends to clean with. However, I learned from Vintage Remedies that vodka is a better base. So here is a favorite cleaner I use that I learned how to use vodka....




Then I learned her great mouth rinse, is just vodka and peppermint, this will really wake you up.

I don't know where this resource was 18 years ago but I really am happy I found them. It was when I worked for TOS Magazine as the Assistant to the Advertising Director and Senior Advertising Rep. All it took was going to their website and I was a number fan for life!

They have a lot of great resources about gluten free, aromatherapy, and herbal medicine. You can find a lot of great information from Vintage Remedies. I have many of there books, watch their YouTube videos and read their blog. This is my fav book of theirs, Handbook of Vintage Remedies, this is used weekly. Vintage Remedies has a wonderful book on gluten free, Guide to Bread. This book has helped me with our whole family. A tip, when I provide more gluten free options for Aleq, he seems to eat more of a variety of food. He has not gone totally gluten free but if I can eliminate most of it, he eats so much better. 

Okay, so now to what I use and how I use it, the spray above is what I use for everything to clean that is not wood.

Laundry detergent:
1 bar of Fels Naptha ,Zote, Dr. Bonners
1 cup of Arm n Hammer Washing Soda
1 cup of Borax

I grate the bar of soap and mix with the other ingredients. You can also put all this in a food processor and blend too. I usually double and triple this then keep in an airtight container. 1 tablespoon for regular load and if you have a boy who likes to be outside use 2 tablespoons per load. HA!!

Fabric Softner:
1 gallon of vinegar
essential oil of your choice: lemon, orange, lavender, citronella, vanilla etc.. make sure it is a good essential oil

I buy the big gallons of vinegar at Sams and open one to put about 15 drops of essential oil in it. Give the vinegar a good shake. Use about 1 cup on rinse cycle. 

Furniture/Wood Polish:
1/4 cup Olive Oil
essential oil of your choice: lemon, orange, lavender, citronella, vanilla, etc...

Pour the measured amount of oil into a bowl and microwave for about 1 min. Then I put about 5 drops of essential oil of choice then mix with a spoon. Use a rag dip into mixture then rub on wood real well.

Bathtub scrub:
1/4 cup of baking soda or borax
1/4 cup of vinegar
a little water to make a paste
essential oil of your choice: lemon, orange, lavender, citronella, vanilla, etc...

Mix the first two together in a container you can seal for the extra left over then pour a little water at a time to make a paste. You can put about 5 -10 drops of your choice of  essential oil. I love lavender and orange together. Take a rag and dip in mixture then scrub, rinse with water.

Baby Wipes:
1 roll of paper towel
sharp knife
2 tablespoons of hypoallergenic babywash or Dr. Bonners liquid soap
1 tablespoons witch hazel
15 drops of tea tree
15 drops of lavender
1 tsp of almond or grapeseed oil
water
2  10 cup round containers with lids.

I use the store brand paper towels from Kroger, some swear by Viva or Bounty. You may have to try  out several to see which one you prefer. With a sharp knife (straight blade) cut the paper towel in half. Place each one in the container. Mix the ingredients in order in an 4 cup measuring device except water. Now fill the cup with water until it reaches 2 cups. Mix again until combined well and pour about 1/4 cup in each container aiming toward the bottom. Then pour 1/2 cup each over the top around the papertowel on each one. Then the rest toward the middle on each one. Leave it to set for about 10 min, then take the cardboard tubing out . It will come out easy. Seal and use. I use these for dog wipes as well. If we are going out, I will place some in a ziploc and bring with us for wipes. It takes me about 5 min to make these then they sit for 10 min. Very easy to make.


These are my essential cleaning supplies above. It is really worth it to be able to have a clean home that is chemical free. You will learn as you go what you will like more as in the essential oils. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. If you are looking for a way to clean or change and need help, I would love to help you. I even started making our own mosquito repellent.

So the next time you hear this crazy homeschool momma say "I need vodka" you know why. 

Blessings....









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails