Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sometimes there needs to be a breakdown...

I think today my daughter finally broke down about how difficult it is living with Aleq, losing some of her friends because of Aleq, and losing friends because not staying in touch. As she is getting older she needs that support of a good friendship.

It hurts to see her upset and full of anger because she didn't think she could talk to me. You hear it and remember as a child saying the same thing "you don't understand". So we went thru the list of why she doesn't think I understand. Come to find out she learned that I understood everything.



As a parent you feel bad because it is a lot of responsibility to take on as a child with their challenging sibling. Learning constantly on how to treat the SPD child.
No matter how much I told her that she is special  because God knew she could handle it, it didn't help.

So, I used Plan B (from my previous post) with her. I talked to her to find out what was really bothering her. What can we do to make things better....
As a sibling of a child with challenges you need to take that time to really talk about what you are feeling.
Ashlie opened up and told me she feels no one likes her because of Aleq. My response was that is not true. Others have a hard time understanding Aleq just like her at times. Real friends will be there for us and we are still looking for those types of friends. We have one family that really accepts us that I know of and I reminded her of that.

She wants friends.....friends that are girls and alone time with them. I totally understand. This is normal but I think it is more important when you have a child with challenges and one without. Ashlie needs to have "hang out time" and spend time with friends and in return it will give me one on one with Aleq.

We had two "hang out" events this week and I told her I was working my best to plan more "hang out" time for her and for Aleq.

I know in the future this will be very beneficial, there is some reason she is experiencing this. God knows she is a good sister and will learn just like myself on to handle Aleq.

I pray everyday that it will become easier for us. It has only been about a 4 months since we have started learning how to work with Aleq. I think she does well most of the time. It is hard on all of us and I reminded her that she is not alone, we are all in this together.
They do have a lot of good moments...

He found her hiding. LOL

Live, Laugh and Love every day!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! After reading it. I was crying very heart warming....... Have you ever considered maybe to write a book perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I have not, maybe one day. I have had others ask me to think about writing a book about our journey of homeschooling before.
    Thank you for your response,I am glad you felt it was heart warming.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails